Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Disney's New Attractions: Happiest Lines on Earth

"an astounding 45-minute wait for ... 90 seconds of flying through the air.. . My husband and I launched our own commando operation, trying to distract our poor boys from the most popular attractions. Let's just say we spent an inordinate amount of time clambering around the line-free Goofy's Playhouse and Donald's Boat."

For the whole story:
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/01/132529557/disneys-new-attraction-the-happiest-lines-on-earth

We've all been to those theme parks where the long lines drain the excitement from the adrenaline-provoking roller-coasters, but if you haven't had that experience with young boys age 11 and under, the line hasn't been nearly as draining. Their impatience makes you more impatient. They get bored and restless more quickly than you do. Then, they try to find things to occupy their time like food (which you better not run out of) or video games (hope the battery doesn't go dead) or climbing rails (last resort if there is no food or video games and you have to hope that they don' t fall off). This generation (that I am glad to be a part of) is indeed impatient. If my cell phone doesn't get me to the internet fast enough, I say it's time for a new one with more space. We do need constant entertainment; that's why my cell phone is in my hand about 85% of the day (and that may be an understatement). It's just the way we are. I wouldn't say it's good and I wouldn't say its bad; it's a fact of our lives. Technology and society complement one another. They push each other forward. If a society is impatient, technology is created to accommodate that societal flaw. Sometimes societies have to catch up to the technology. In Web Tech, we've talked about this many times.  I am glad Disney is adjusting to our lifestyles. Now, our video games can be played in the cat on the way back to the hotel or home and they can provide us with the entertainment. I hope Carowinds and King's dominion catches the hint. Right now, Disney does have the happiest lines on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment