Friday, November 26, 2010

NPR: 11-10-2010: Digital Life: The Queen of England is on Facebook

"You can like her, but you can't be her friend. She would be the Queen of England. This morning, the British monarchy officially joined Facebook. Fans won't be able to personally friend-request the queen or poke her. But you can follow her daily engagements, see pictures of her and maybe her corgis - the usual stuff people like to post. Except, of course, other people's photos don't feature the crown jewels."

For the whole story, visit http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131157447

Even in the digital world, the Queen has limited access. I wonder why she chose to join Facebook. Was it her decision? Was she bored? Will she join Twitter, Myspace or get an Oovoo account next? Is the Queen trying to say that she wants to be like "a normal person"? I don't know what message she's trying to send or if she's trying to send a message at all, but I think it's kind of cool. I mean, just this week, my great-grandmother got a Facebook account as well. Although it was a bit strange, I like it. Facebook is a place where people can just be people. I've learned things about people I've known for the majority of my life on Facebook that I don't think I would have discovered in a face-to-face encounter. Maybe I'll learn something new about the Queen! In Web Technologies, we talk a lot about internet users and digital learners, but I never thought the Queen of England would be included in either of those categories. I could teach her a few things about internet safety and the start of the World Wide Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment