Friday, November 26, 2010

NPR: 11-10-2010:It's Time: The Wristwatch Makes A Comeback

All Things Considered
All Tech Considered

The century's old time telling tool is making a comeback. We now invent time into every machine. There is a clock on the microwave, the stove, my cellular device, and some people strap them to their wrist. The old wristwatch has been given a modern edge with the addition of solar power batteries and goas capabilities. Now, it can compete with things such as my cellular device that may make them seem irrelevant.

Technology is constantly evolving. In Web Technologies, we have talked about the evolution of the World Wide Web, the laptop and the cell phone. Things are constantly changing in this ever-changing society. We want to figure out how to make things more affordable, more comfortable, more portable and more conducive to our everyday lives. The wristwatch is not excluded. I wouldn't buy a wristwatch. I prefer telling time on a digital clock on my cell phone. If my battery goes dead, then the wrist watch may be helpful or maybe I could just ask someone else who has a cell phone. I've asked people with fancy wristwatches on the time and they pull out their cell phone. More than anything now, I believe they are worn for fashion. Either way, wristwatch companies aren't yet hurting from the production of new technologies. I have a feeling that soon enough, they will. Sorry Rolex.

No comments:

Post a Comment